What is Vasomotor Rhinitis?
Vasomotor rhinitis is also known as non allergic rhinitis. The symptoms experienced are similar to an allergic reaction but the causes differ.
Allergies: An allergic reaction occurs when the immune system is hypersensitive to harmless foreign substances. These harmless foreign substances are called allergens.
The most common allergens are:
- Dust mites
- Foods (milk, wheat, soy, eggs, nuts, seafood)
- Animal fur
The immune system reacts violently and causes flu like symptoms during allergic reactions because the immune system cannot identify certain allergens.
Vasomotor Rhinitis causes the nasal linings (mucus membranes) to swell and excessive blood vessel dilation. This means that the nasal linings are in constant fight mode.
Facts regarding Vasomotor Rhinitis:
- Vasomotor Rhinitis tends to affect women more than men as it is believed that hormones influence non allergic rhinitis in women.
- Vasomotor rhinitis is more noticeable in individuals over 22 years of age. Symptoms of vasomotor rhinitis last throughout the year and worsen during weather or seasonal changes.
Symptoms of Vasomotor Rhinitis:
- Congestion (blocked nasal passages)
- Fatigue of a feeling of lethargy
- Runny nose
- Reduced sense of taste and smell
- Post nasal drip (backward flow of mucus)
- Sleep difficulties
- Muscle pains
- Sore throat
How can we treat Vasomotor Rhinitis?
Although Vasomotor Rhinitis can be treated it cannot be cured completely. Treatment options include:
- Nasal corticosteroid sprays- often work after long term use and assist with swelling of the membranes.
- Conventional medication (tablets and pills) – Work well but may have detrimental side effects like insomnia, hypertension and nervousness.
- Using a humidifier in ones home to keep air moist helps lessen the symptoms of Vasomotor Rhinitis.
- Decongestant nasal sprays- These are not often recommended as they provide short term relief and cause blood vessels to become hypersensitive. Long term use or over usage of decongestant nasal sprays often cause Vasomotor Rhinitis and is a result of rebound congestion.
- Anti-histamines- This treatment is safe and very similar to allergy treatment. Studies have however proved that Anti-histamines are not very effective when treating Vasomotor Rhinitis.
Safer and alternative treatment options:
The use of a netti pot is an alternative to over the counter medication. Nasal rinsing loosens thick mucus and clears the nasal passages and sinuses. The solution for nasal rinsing comprises of a saline solution (salt and warm water).
Nasal rinsing also helps unblock the Eustachian tube caused by congestion and mucus dripping into the back of the throat.
Homeopathic remedies are great in treating sinus infections and assisting with the symptoms of rhinitis. Homeopathic products treat the underlying causes of the symptoms experienced therefore producing an effective way to obtain long term results. Ingredients used in the preparation of homeopathic remedies are diluted under strict rules by the pharmaceutical guidelines. Homeopathic remedies are non addictive and contain no side effects. These remedies assist the immune system and build immunity towards bacteria.
Assists in the treatment of Sneezing, Congestion, pain and pressure in the sinus cavities
(30 day supply)
(60 day supply)